Google+ Followers

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Moving Past the Pain Body and Finding the Now

Moving Past the Pain Body

 and Finding the Now         

We all are connected and meant to help and learn from each other. NOW I am doing what I love: teaching and sharing meditation information

Originally from Ranchi, India, reader Purnima has lived in the United States for the last 32 years. Ten years ago, she flew back to India to be at her mother’s side during the last weeks of her life.
Purnima says that she had always had a challenging relationship with her mother. She explains that she never felt that her mother loved her, even though her mother insisted that she did. The question for Purnima was: Why didn’t she feel loved? Purnima explains that, around the time she was born, her mother’s mother passed away, but no one told her family about this loss until much later. “When I was an infant, my father and sister had to take care of me. My mother disconnected from me because of her mother’s death and dove into a depression.”
When her mother passed, Purnima stayed by her bedside to help her make her final transition. “I completed all the prayers, and I told her that I knew she loved me. I explained that I would be okay when she was gone, and since she was scared of dying, I comforted her. She couldn’t talk, but slowly she gave me a sign that she heard everything. The last word I spoke to her was “Radhasoami”, a very powerful mystic word we always share. The next morning she was gone.” The emptiness and sadness Purnima felt was overwhelming, and for the next several years, she says that she was trapped in the pain body.
In 2008, after hearing Eckhart speak on the Oprah show, Purnima picked up his teachings. The same year, she started to volunteer in a hospital. As she says, “I made a promise to my mother that I would listen to people who are sick, share their story and serve them. I have worked with lots of terminal cancer patients. I started talking about Eckhart Tolle’s books to my patients in hospital, and talking about prayers, counting blessings, and gratitude.”
By 2010, Purnima achieved her dream role. After word of the impact of her volunteering reached hospital staff, she was offered a job teaching meditation in at the Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center. She has been studying neurology for the last several years as well, looking at the impact of meditation on the nervous system. “My “Moment of meditation” class is every Tuesday and it run about 30 minutes. I start with gratitude and then light stretching exercises, teaching awareness of our thoughts and also how stay conscious of each breath. I explain that meditation in not a religion, but a tool to learn how to develop a spiritual muscle like one would develop a physical muscle.” Working as a teacher and patient advocate, Purnima makes a huge difference in the lives of those going through the strain of a medical challenge, and the lives of their family members.
As Purnima shares with us, “It’s amazing how the Universe works, in order to teach my students, I had to go through many personal experiences myself. We all are connected and meant to help and learn from each other. NOW I am doing what I love: teaching and sharing meditation information with patients and hospital staff.” Purnima’s connection with Eckhart’s teachings not only helped her to change her own life, but those of others. She wants to know how you meditate and connect with the now.